What will you bring to Maker Faire Rome this year in order to shock visitors? The deadline for application is September 15th, 2017.
DEADLINE EXTENDED OCTOBER 1th 2017 !
We particularly encourage creative, innovative, funny, interactive, educational projects, made with passion and skills.
Maker Faire Rome is a great celebration of invention, open to all forms of applied creativity, from the most serious to the most imaginative projects, from new technologies to traditional arts and crafts.
Exhibit at Maker Faire means high visibility and lots of fun, business contacts and networking opportunities with fellow makers from all over the world.
What are we looking for:
- Inventors and innovators: innovative products, prototypes, patents, research projects, startups, crowdfunding. When makers want to meet the market, they must come to Maker Faire Rome! Every year we build the future together.
- Innovative craftsmen: tools and techniques for digital fabrication, from 3D printing to CNC machines, from creative woodworking and metalworking to digital techniques for fashion and design, but also high quality craft products and any process involving hand-making.
- Electronics: from microcontrollers to retrocomputing, from sensors to Internet of Things, from circuit bending to hacking, from machine learning to open hardware.
- Food and agriculture: innovation in food (including machines, robotics, techniques for preparation and conservation) and agriculture (agro-tech, rural innovation, automation, monitoring).
- Robotics and machines: from wheel robots to animatronics, from humanoids to Goldberg machines, from artificial intelligence to industrial automation.
- Health and quality of life: projects for improving life of disabled people, biomedical products, accessories for sport, projects about human body.
- Art, interaction and games: projects using light, darkness, sound, music; robotic art, creative coding, musical instruments, virtual reality and interactive installations.
- Science, chemistry, engineering: science exhibits and experiments, laboratories and shows for kids and adults.
- Energy, sustainability, recycling: from renewables to upcycling, from recycling of materials to repair culture, from water and environment, from green architecture and smart mobility.
- Large-scale projects: innovative or playful, static or moving, sculptural or technologic, giant projets are always the great attraction that visitors always remember.
- Projects about this year’s topic: future belongs to everyone, innovation (when open, inclusive, bottom-up) is the only way for a better world.
- …and then drones, bicycles, projects for cultural heritage, photography, security and any other topic not listed here.
You can participate in Maker Faire even if you don’t have an innovative project but you have something to show and you’re willing to teach and share your skills and your experience: we’re all makers and everybody want to learn from makers!
- For each one of the above listed categories, the most innovative and creative projects will be given an award
- Projects about health and disability participate in the Make to Care contest
- …more prizes to be announced!
You can participate in several ways:
- Projects worth exhibiting: selected applicants will be given a pre-set free booth (table + chairs) inside the exhibiting halls, strategically located so to be visited by the large audience that attend Maker Faire Rome right for the sake of discovering interesting projects.
- Amazingly entertaining presentations: selected applicants will be given a free room (or a stage) to give project presentation/speech, tell a story, engage the audience in the issue they are keen to discuss.
- Super cool workshops: selected applicants will be assigned a workshop area where they could hold interactive sessions and engage participants – adults and / or children – in “hands on” activities.
- Performances: selected applicants will be given a free space (or a stage) for them to perform in creative, technological, robotic, musical, pyrotechnic performance.
Things to know:
- Selected projects will enjoy free participation!
- Sale will be allowed.
- Applications will be evaluated by the curators.
- The standard exhibit includes a schell scheme booth with two tables and two chairs, but we also have a dark room for projects using light in a spectacular way; a large drones stage; a water pool. We also have outdoor space of various sizes for larger scale attractions.
- After the public gates close, the Maker Networking Party will begin, the largest gathering of European makers!
- For any questions please write to email@example.com.
More ways to participate:
- Schools can apply to the dedicated Call for Schools
- Partners who are interested in getting a paid space along with more visibility benefits can read the page about Partnerships.
- Public universities and research centers can apply to the dedicated Call for Universities and Research Institutes.
Can I apply with an unrealized idea?
At Maker Faire, visitors want to see physical projects so you should bring at least a prototype. If at the time of your application you don’t have a prototype yet, tell that in the project description and include pictures showing its development status. We want to understand clearly what you’re going to put on your table!
I have multiple projects: should I send multiple applications?
Yes, please: they will be more visible in the web site and we will understand better what you’re going to bring.
We are a group of makers, how can we apply?
If the project was built by a group of people who are not part of a company or an association or another legally recognized entity, one of them should apply to the Call for Makers as an individual. He will represent his group legally, also for the R.O.M.E. Prize. However, in the public information of the project you can put all names within the “Authors” field.
We’re a Fab Lab, how can we apply?
You can submit all the projects you want to exhibit, if you have the legal rights for them (also for the R.O.M.E. Prize). If you want to bring projects by other people (i.e. users of your lab) and you don’t have the full rights on them, just have those people apply separately with their names and tell them to specify they want to be close to your booth. We’ll do our best.
I am a minor, can I still apply?
Underage people cannot apply directly according to the Regulation, so please ask your parents to apply on behalf of you. You’ll name can still be published in the “author” field of the public information.
Can I sell at Maker Faire?
Yes! However you cannot sell or promote product of third parties. The assigned booth is just for you.
What are you waiting for?
- Read the Regulation.
- Enter the Exhibitor Portal and submit your application(s) no later than September 15th ( DEADLINE EXTENDED 1 OCTOBER 2017 )
- Spread the word (also with the Maker Faire artwork and the #MFR17 hashtag).
- Subscribe to the newsletter to keep up!